It’s a question that many people ask themselves when they’re redecorating, “Should I use paint or wallpaper?” Often the decision comes down to which looks like the simpler option. The thing is that you shouldn’t just be thinking of a one-off paint or wallpaper job when you’re considering the matter of simplicity.
If you intend staying in your home for a period of several years then you’re going to have to decorate more than once. It’s also important to remember that the form of decoration you choose shouldn’t just depend on ease of application.
Many people steer away from having wallpaper in their home simply because they think painting the walls themselves is the easy option. The fact is, you can get help from wallpaper professionals to give your home a stylish and eye catching look.
What are the benefits and pitfalls of painting your walls?
Choosing to paint the walls in your home can be tempting. There are plenty of reasons why buying some paint and getting out your brushes and roller may seem like a good idea.
- Paint often seems like the cheaper option.
- It’s less daunting thinking about painting a wall than it is hanging wallpaper.
- It’s easy to paint over a wall without too much preparation.
That’s a very limited viewpoint of painting though. Let’s take a look at some of the pitfalls you may face.
- In general paint doesn’t last as long as wallpaper. You often find yourself having to re-paint or complete touch-up work. Is it really cheaper in the long run?
- Paint gives you very limited scope for design, unless you’re going to get creative and use stencils.
- If you’re using oil based paints you can permanently stain furniture and carpet if you’re not careful.
- Paint will show up any dents and cracks, no matter how minor.
- Paint doesn’t have texture. Its effect is all in the color.
Why you might want to use wallpaper
Although you may think wallpaper just seems to be too much like hard work, this shouldn’t put you off using it. Like we said, you can always call a professional to help, or you can take a look at some wallpaper hanging tips and do it yourself. There are several benefits you get from wallpaper.
- On average it lasts two to three times longer than paint.
- Modern wallpaper is a lot easier to remove. If you have old wallpaper hanging in your home it’s still going to take some concerted effort to clear your wall for the new hanging.
- Wallpaper covers blemishes in walls in a way paint never can.
- You get more choice of design and texture, to bring that unique feel to the decoration of your home.
Of course, there are some downsides to using wallpaper; there is more preparation required than there is for painting, for a start. None of this is insurmountable though, and the positives outweigh the negatives. So, painting may be simpler overall, but there are great rewards to be had from using wallpaper in your home.
From time to time we publish original guest articles. The above article was written by Jesse Hughes.
Suggested Articles For You:
- Interior Design Basics Everyone Can Use (1)
- Completing Bathroom Drywall Repair (1)
- Dryall Repair – Remember to Prime Twice (1)
- Finishing The Baseboard Trim (1)
- What are the differences in the various types of house paint available? (1)