Effective ways to lower your home heating bills this winter are not elusive or only for the rich.
With credit card bills from the holidays now taking up all of your money, one way to help pay these bills is to find money from other sources.
Taking action to lower your utility bills, especially your heating bills in the winter, is like finding new money.
Yet, not all actions which reduce the amount of heat you use in your home during the winter cost the same or have the same effect.
You want ways to lower your heating bill right now that are the most effective, those actions which have the greatest immediate impact for the least amount of money.
10 Effective Ways To Lower Home Heating Bills
Here then is our list of effective ways to lower your home heating bills and save your money:
1. Install a Programmable Thermostat – The costs have come down dramatically to the point that many cost less than $100. How many times have you gone to bed at night and forgotten to turn the temperature down in the winter? How many times have you left the house or condo for work only to return home to discover that you forgot to turn down the temperature on your thermostat and kept your home nice and warm with no one there? With a programmable thermostat, you set it once and such incidents no longer occur to save you money through reduced heating bills.
2. Going Out = Turning Down – Even with a programmable thermostat, why heat the house when you go out shopping or running errands or to the movie theatre and no one is home. Remember to turn the temperature on your thermostat, programmable or manual, when no one is home and you will lower your heating bill.
3. Clean Your Windows – The cleaner your windows, the more direct sun light can enter your home to help keep it warm during those sunny winter days.
4. Wear More Clothes – Why walk around in your home wearing nothing but shorts and a t-shirt as if it was summer, yet complain that the house feels cold and run to turn up the temperature on your thermostat? Simply wearing multiple layers of clothes will keep you warm. Feel cold? Simply put on a sweater or sweatshirt. There’s no need to turn up the heat on your thermostat just because you feel cold.
5. Use Throw Blankets – Similar to number 4 above, when on the couch watching TV, simply cover yourself in a throw blanket to keep you warm rather than turning up the heat.
6. Always Consider Home Much It Will Cost – Each time you reach for your thermostat to turn the temperature up, think about how much it will cost you on your next heating bill. Perhaps even put a little 3M Post It noted on top of the thermostat to remind you.
7. Spend More Time Outside Your Home – Typically we tend to spend more time inside our homes in the winter. Yet, if you are not home you can lower the temperature reading on your thermostat. So, plan more family activities outside your home. Go to the mall (but only window shop!), to the library, to your local recreation center, visit your friends at their homes. You can find all kinds of ways to not be in your home to keep the heat down and save money.
8. Close Fireplace Damper When Not In Use – Leaving the damper open in your fireplace when it is not in use is like having a 2 foot by 2 foot hole in your wall where you let out heated air. Remember, hot air rises. So, get in the habit of closing the fireplace damper when your fireplace is not in use to save you money by keeping more of your heated air inside during the winter.
9. Childproof Your Electrical Outlets – Have you ever put your hand near the electric outlets on the outside walls of your home? Do it now. If you feel a cool draft coming into your home from the unused electrical outlets, simply place cheap child proof plugs to keep the cool air out and help save your heating bills.
10. Family Meeting – Simply reminding the other members of your household on what it costs to heat your and their home in the winter plus simple ways they can take to keep these home heating bills down can really have a big savings. This way, it is not just you but everyone in your home who takes action to save you money on your winter heating bills.
Collections of Home Heating Savings Tips
Here are a few more articles we have written recently on different ways to lower your home heating bills from different perspectives:
And of course, we have our complete collection of 530+ ways to save money by lowering your energy and water usage in our Free Home Energy & Water Cost Savings Collection.
What other ways to you use to lower your home heating bills each winter?
Suggested Articles For You:
- Don’t Forget Annual Maintenance For Your Furnace (1)
- Honeywell 360 Surround Heater Review (1)
- Daily Home Energy Savings Tip #294 – Heating – Pets Body Heat (1)
- Home Energy Conservation During A Recession or Depression (1)
- Home Energy Conservation – No Cost Heating Savings Tips – 1 (1)