We have written a lot about the new EcoSense LED light bulbs from the Home Depot.
List at least many (I can’t say definitively all since I am not a lighting expert) LED light bulbs they do not contain any Mercury, which cannot be said for CFL type of energy saving light bulbs.
And LED light bulbs in general, including the EcoSmart brand, use a lot less wattage for the same amount of light.
We have switched all of our incandescent (i.e. the old fashioned) light bulbs (A19 size) as well as most of our PAR20 sized halogen and even CFL light bulbs to Home Depot’s EcoSense LED light bulbs in most areas of our home.
Areas where we now have 9 Watt EcoSense LED light bulbs in the A19 size includes:
- In our hallway and bathroom ceiling mounted light fixtures:
- In table lamps (seen here at my home office with my Notre Dame ball cap):
Areas where we now have the 9 Watt EcoSense LED light bulbs in the PAR20 size includes:
- In our walk-in closet and bedroom recessed ceiling light fixtures:
- In some of our kitchen recessed ceiling light fixtures:
- In our bathroom recessed ceiling light fixtures:
They are all working great to lower our electric bills.
However, they are not perfect.
The Home Depot’s web site states that these EcoSense 8 Watt PAR20 LED light bulbs “...can be dimmed to allow for light customization”
Well, sadly, not for us as I have found out.
Our recessed ceiling (also known in some areas as pot) light fixtures are not that old; they were installed back in 2008.
And, this is the type of dimmer switch we use from Leviton:
I believe these are pretty common.
Well, sadly for us, this combination results in a buzzing sound when ever the lights are dimmed.
So yes, they can be dimmed; if you don’t mind a little buzzing … at least in our configuration which can e a little annoying.
If they are on full, then there is no buzzing at all.
Yet, try and dim them and the more they are dimmed the louder the buzzing sound.
This is very disappointing.
I thought you should know.
However, I still see these EcoSmart LED lights from the Home Depot as being the ones to buy if your light fixture is not attached to a dimmer.
I hope this helps.
Suggested Articles For You:
- Using Home Depot EcoSmart PAR20 LED Light Bulb (1)
- Using LED Light Bulbs Is Saving Us Money (1)
- Home Depot EcoSmart PAR 20 LED Lightbulb Review (1)
- Using LED Lights In The Garage (1)
- Where To Use PAR 20 LED Lightbulbs in the Bathroom (1)