Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon – Does It Work?

Ever since the restrictions over the past year or two on the type of herbicides which can be used to control weeds in the Greater Toronto Area, controlling Dandelions and a wide variety of broad and narrow leaf weeds on the family lawn has been a problem.

Gone from the shelves in this part of Canada of your local Home Hardware, Home Depot, Rona, Lowe’s, Canadian Tire and corner hardware or garden supply store are the now banned chemicals used in the past for weed control.

This past week, Scotts Canada announced a new line of selective weed control product arriving at the shelves which met these new environmental based restrictions. It is receiving a major media blitz, whether it is the Scotts commercials on CBC television during the Philadelphia Flyer vs Montreal Canadian playoff game, or in the background of a Lowe’s commercial, and so on.

Just in time for the Canadian Victoria Day weekend, also known of course as the 2 4 weekend. icon wink Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

What is it? How does it work?

weed be gon 005 Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

Well, first it is not the same product by the same name already on sale in the United States; this product is a different formulation to be compliant with local environmental laws. Pictured above is the 2 litre spray bottle.

This Weed B Gon formulation uses iron as the key element to get the weeds. Per the material we received, “When the leaves and roots of a weed are exposed through spot spraying, iron is absorbed into the cell structure of the plant. Within a few days, the weed is gone, but the grass around it remains healthy because iron is a nutrient for turf. Weed B Gon can be used by spot spraying to control or suppress dandelions, English daisies, white clovers, black medics. bull thistles Canada thistles, common chickweed, creeping buttercups, Persian speedwell, slender speedwell, broadleaf plaintains narrow-leafed plaintains, dovefoot geraniums, mosses, algae and more.”

We have weeds on our lawn so we thought it we would give it a try and review it for you for ourselves.

weed be gon 4l Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

With the 2 Litre size you have a separate spray gun which is connected to the top of the bottle by the white tube which is within the separate spray gun itself as shown in the above picture.

weed be gon ready Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

Of course you want to be sure to shake the bottle before you start using it.

Now, notice in the following pictures what looks like a rust colour liquid on the leaves, etc. of the weeds.

weed be gon applied 1 Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

It is not rust. Remember, the primary ingredient of this selective weed control product is iron; iron is the colour of rust.

weed be gon applied 2 Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

These pictures were take by me immediately after I applied Weed B Gon onto these weeds.

weed be gon applied 3 Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

I then proceeded to use in on the numerous weeds in and around our lawn.

weed be gon applied to weed in lawn edge Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

How did this new selective weed contorl product work for us? Should you rush out and buy some before it clears the shelves?

Continue to the next article where I show you the result of the weeds after having Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon applied for 24 hours.

share save 171 16 Scotts EcoSense Weed B Gon   Does It Work?

Comments

1. lorne logan says:

can this product be used on newly seeded lawns?

Hi Lorne,

The product information on the bottle says it should not, I believe (I’ve used mine all up so I am going from memory here).

3. buddha says:

i have too many weeds and it would be too tedious to spot spray. Is there a concentrate that I can attach to a hose and spray the whole lawn? Thanks.

• mary cameron says:

i used scotts weed be gone on my weeds it killed them but also killed my grass,looks wonderful ha!ha!ha! not funny ,now with all the draught,cant tell the dead grass from dry grass i applied the weed be gone before the draught .WHY did this happen.want some compensation who do i send a complaint to and get some satisfaction?
      mary cameron

• Dan says:

Hi Mary,
        Check the label of the container. I don’t have one handy at the moment but it should indicate if you can get your money back from Scotts and if so where. Also I would suggest ask at the store where you purchased the Weed B Gon from originally.

• Jay says:

I’m in your boat. It too killed my grass. I still have heaps of weeds. It’s ridiculous. Now I think I have a bug. This is two years in a row that my lawn has looked like crap. I’m about ready to just pave over my lawn & live in a concrete jungle!

• james potter says:

Yes there is now a concetrated 1 L bottle at wal mart you can get it for aorund 48.00 otherwise its about 56.00 anywhere else there you attached it to your hose and there is no spot spraying it will cover your entire lawn and only kill weeds as per buying weed killer in canada its the best stuff out there better then whatever the weed man puts down also

• frank says:

I WASTED TIME AND MONEY ON THIS TOTALLY USELESS CONCENTRATED PRODUCT. EVEN VERY HEAVY APPLICATION ONLY TURNED THE EXISTING LEAVES BROWN BUT QUICKLY ENCOURAGED THE NEW GROWTH TO COME IN AGAIN.I TRIED AGAIN SETTING THE APPLIATOR TO ’6′ BUT TO NO AVAIL. WE SHOUD GET OUR MONEY BACK. THIS IS A COMPLETE SCAM ASFAR AS I’M CONCERNED.

Hi,

So far I have not seen any mention of such a delivery method; perhaps next year.

Actually, it has been several weeks since I have seen any sizes except for the small 710 ml size in stores.

5. Quinn says:

Hi!!
    I work for a store in Cambridge that has a lot of products for your lawn, and we’ve certainly been hurt by the pesticide bans. How ever we certainly sell the Weed-B-Gon from Scotts, and know a fair bit about it too :)
    Firstly, there is is no talk of a concentrate, so its spot spray all the way. Secondly, it is a ‘picky’ product. You must put on the spray rather heavey, and it can’t rain for 3 hours after word, and likewise, don’t water it!! Follow those two things and you should be good :) It will not work on crab grass, obviously, as crab grass is a GRASS. It only works on broad leaf weeds, but that technickly means creeping charley aswell… and I’ve had many ccustomers say it didn’t work for them.
    All in all its not bad, it does work if the conditions are right.. it worked at my house :)
    It comes in 709ml, 2L, and 4L, if you want anything bigger, get a license, or call a landscaper ;)

Hi Quinn,

Thanks for the feedback on the product.

If only I could find those 4 litre sizes; they are a lot cheaper than the 710 ml bottles.

7. Anonymous says:

I’ve found out that where I live the dandelions are real tough since less than 25% are affected.

8. dwhat is the best time to apply weed be gon says:

when is the best conditions to apply weed be gone ?

9. gord barney says:

when is the best condition to apply weed be gon — after a rain or during a dry spell >

Based on the product label and what has worked for me, I would say when the outside temperature does not approach or exceed 90 degrees F. and when it will not rain or the lawn will not be watered for 24 hours.

As well, when you won’t mow the lawn for 24 to 48 hours too!

I hope that helps!

11. Jean LeBlanc says:

Is Weed Be Gone safe for dogs.

Hi Jean,
    The product packaging states it should not be swallowed and if it is to contact poison control.

If your dog eats grass and weeds, I would not use any product at all.

On the other hand, we have used Weed B Gon for now two summers. We have a now 10 year old Cookapoo. All we do is to not let her on the lawn for a few hours after using (even though she does not eat grass).

You might want to contact Scotts directly if you have a concern about this to be sure.

13. Muggs says:

I had an embarrassing patch of clover on my front lawn that just kept getting bigger and bigger. It was about 8 by 6 feet in size. I thought I was going to have to dig out the area and reseed. Sprayed it with Weed B Gon on a Monday, Tuesday and Thursday and it was gone by Saturday. Took about the entire 2L bottle but it did absolutely no damage to my grass. For me, this stuff is the real deal.

14. Muggs says:

Hi Muggs,
    Thanks for the feedback.

16. Yenny Salim says:

is it safe for bugs, worms and ants, etc?…I am trying not to harm any animals but want the weeds to go…

thanks

17. sunny says:

is it safe for grass ???
    i spread the whole lawn in the evening.

Hi Sunny,
    Do you mean that you spread new grass seed on your lawn yesterday evening?

If that is what you meant to say then no, Weed B Gon is not to be applied on newly seeded lawns or on newly laid sod.

You will need to wait several, several weeks; check out the product packaging for the specific details.

I hope this helps,

19. Anonymous says:

thanks for reply
    it’s not new..more than 10 yrs…^^*
    this years i have too much weed…

Ah.

Yes, Sunny, it is safe for grass. That actually is the whole point of the product; that is to say, it is environmentally friendly and will not kill the grass when used according to its instructions.

I hope that helps,

21. Pete says:

I tested it. I’m disappointed. I sprayed 5 dandilions on my lawn, for 5 seconds each, directed it at the root. By day 4, the dandilion leaves had disintegrated and the grass looked perfect. By day 7, there were fresh new leaf shoots on all 5 dandilions. It appears this stuff kills the leaves, but not the root which is pointless in my opinion cause in 12 days my lawn is in no better shape. The new dandilion leafs looked as big as the ones I sprayed originally.

Hi Pete,

It is always good to get everyone’s experiences.

Thanks,

23. Vicky says:

This is referred to as a pesticide. I’m probably confused but isn’t a pesticide something that kills bugs and a herbicide killing plants? Know it’s splitting hairs but I don’t want to use anything that will get into the food chain so I’m hoping you can help me with this classification.

thanks in advance!

Hi Vicky,

From Scotts own product pages “Scotts® EcoSense™ Weed B Gon® Weed Control Selective Herbicide” (http://www.scotts.ca/smg/catalog/productTemplate.jsp?proId=prod10440002&itemId=cat10130002).

Where did you see that it is referred to as a pesticide?

Thanks,

25. Vicky says:

In the first sentence of your article -

“Ever since the restrictions over the past year or two on the type of pesticides which can be used to control weeds in the Greater Toronto Area, controlling Dandelions and a wide variety of broad and narrow leaf weeds on the family lawn has been a problem.”

Hi Vicky,
    Excellent!

Thanks very much for that.

Where I live people tend to use the terms interchangeably so I fell into that trap.

I have made the correction.

Thank you very much again!

27. Ms. Honor Tyler says:

I recently purchased a very large bottle of Weed B gon and sprayed lots of my weeds. I have not seen any die. Last year I used a whole bottle and found that it did seem to kill the tops and then they returned as big or bigger than ever. Maybe your product is not strong enough to kill the roots. What a waste of money. This cost me $30 for nothing. I have since called in a company to kill my weeds. I guess they use the same type of product only much stronger. Hopefully, they will die now. It is such a shame what they have done to us stopping the use of herbicides that actually kill weeds. I understand that we need to save the planet, but apparently home use if only 5% of people using it. We have a golf course right across the street and I know that they are allowed to use the bad stuff, as are farmers. We are soon going to be overrun with weeds. I have people living on both sides to me that do not care about their weeds so how can I not have lots of weeds? The creeping charlie cannot be killed with anything, it is just going rampant. I keep pulling it out so it does not get in my lawn, but it is a never ending job. I want the weed and feed back.

Hi Honor,
    Check the label of the bottle to see if you can return for a full refund (either to the store where you purchased it or to Scotts). I was able to do this with the Scotts Turf Builder EZ Seed product.

Personally, I do agree with you about the golf course and farmers exceptions. I can understand some folks thinking the ban was purely political.

I wonder if you had used enough of the product on the leaves (I usually used 4 to 5 ‘squirts’), when it was not too hot (can’t use when the temperature exceeds a certain temperature (I’m not at home right now so I don’t have the label to check) and when it did not rain shortly after applying Weed B Gon?

29. Ron says:

I tried it last year and it didn’t work.

30. frank says:

nothing has died so far. it’s been a week and i’ve applied a second coat of weedbgone two days ago. no indication of the slightest effect. my neighbour tried it aswell but it didn’t work. it seems like a $60 rip-off. scotts should offer refunds

31. anita wright says:

Scott’s Weed B Gone is the best thing since sliced bread!

32. Wayne says:

I have sprayed 3days in a row, looks like the product feeds the weeds rather than kills them. Won’t buy the product again