Editor’s Note: Curious how this lawn mower is performing in 2011, 3 years later? You can! After reading the rest of this article simply select this link to read Solaris Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review Three Years Later.
The 5 articles earlier this week were devoted to reviewing the new 2009 Solaris lawn mower (here is the direct link to Part 1 in this series in case you missed them).
However, it is one thing to perform a product review in isolation. It is quite another to perform a product review in comparison to the prior year’s model.
Today we provide a comparison for those interested between the 2008 (on the left) and 2009 (on the right) models.
As with most comparisons between any types of items some of the criteria can be subjective. As well, everyone has their own priorities. Therefore I’ll simply indicate which year’s model was in my non-professional opinion was superior for each of the criteria. I’ll leave it up to the reader to determine the degree of importance.
So here are our comparison criteria between the 2008 and 2009 electric self-propelled lawn mowers from Linamar Consumer Products which we used:
Availability / Distribution Channels – N/A
- Yes, the Solaris, Epic and Utopia lawn mowers are now widely available in throughout the U.S. as well as on Amazon.com; however, this does not impact the evaluation of the mower itself.
Battery Life – Tie
- I cannot tell any difference yet in battery life during the mowing of our lawn.
Battery Life Indicator – 2009
- Last year’s models did not have any indication of remaining battery life.
Battery Recharging – 2009
- Ability to leave batteries on the mower for either optional solar recharging or electrical outlet recharging a plus.
Blade – 2009
- No need to purchase a separate mulching blade.
Environmentally Friendly – Tie
- IMO, optional solar charging, electric battery powered (vs gas), just can’t be beat by any other powered lawn mower that we know.
Grass Cut – Tie
- My earlier observation of a smoother lawn cut in 2009 may be subjective.
Handle Adjustment – 2008
- Gone in 2009 is the ergonomic handle which I used a lot when storing the 2008 model in the shed out back.
Height Adjustment – Tie
- Individual wheel adjustment in 2009 offset by its available increased height.
Maneuverability – 2009
- Front wheel drive Solaris model easier to turn corners than 2008 rear-wheel drive model.
Mower Maintenance – Tie
- Same brushless electric motor needing no maintenance.
Owner’s Manual – 2009
- Much more detailed that that with the 2008 model
Starting Ease – 2008
- In 2008, one simply pushes and quickly released the starter switch; in my 2009 Solaris model, I have to hold down for a few seconds the green starter button until the speed of the blade reaches the cutting speed.
Starting Reliability – Tie
- Both versions started the first time every time for us.
Self-Propelled – Tie
- Variable and faster propulsion in 2009 front-wheel drive model offset by initial spinning of the front wheels.
Starter Assembly – 2008
- The cable was protected by the black plastic cover in 2008 while in 2009 it came loose once from the starter handle.
Styling – 2008
- A slight edge to the 2008 model which I think looks more ‘cool’; however, subjective
Variety of Options – N/A
- While front-wheel or rear-wheel or no self-propelled versions exist in 2009 which gives the consumer more options, we are comparing only against just the model we tested.
Overall, based on the above, the 2009 is the clear winner to us.
I hope you have found useful this series of articles on the 2009 Solaris self-propelled cordless electric lawn mower with the optional solar charging station. As always, please feel free to add your comments on your own experiences.
Soon, I’ll write again about the use of the solar charging station we used last year to charge the batteries in our new 2009 Solaris. We may even take advantage of being able to leave the batteries in the mower and install the solar panel, etc. in a different location from last year.
Suggested Articles For You:
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 3A (1)
- Solaris Electric Cordless Solar Charged Lawn Mower 2010 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 5 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 4 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 1 (1)