Solar Charged Lawn Mower – Part 8 – Ergonomic Handle

We have written previously about the solar charged 24V self propelled electric lawn mower with the brushless mower from Linamar Consumer Products, focusing primarily on the environmental, energy conservation and performance aspects. In Part 6, for example we wrote about the performance of our new lawn mower in long and thick grass.

Today we would like to write briefly about a very nice feature concerning the handle of the lawn mower.

The main handle has been designed ergonomically to allow it to be positioned to adjust to the height of the person using the mower and what ever height of the handle they prefer.

The manufacturer has placed approximately one third of the way down on the inside of the main handle inconspicuous buttons approximately 1 inch in diameter.

utopia solar charged lawn mower ergonomic handle 1 Solar Charged Lawn Mower   Part 8   Ergonomic Handle

Then both buttons are depressed into the handle one is able to move the upper third of the handle in either direction. Below is a picture of our lawn mower with the handle as far ‘up’ as possible.

solaris solar charged mower ergonomic handle fully raised 1 Solar Charged Lawn Mower   Part 8   Ergonomic Handle

Next is a picture of our mower with the handle as far ‘down’ as possible.

Nicely done.

epic solar charged mower ergonomic handle fully lowered 1 Solar Charged Lawn Mower   Part 8   Ergonomic Handle

This very easy to use feature also provides the potential for easy storage in the garage or shed as the upper handle’s position can quickly be  changed to take up less storage space.

To continue with the next article in this series, simply select this link to Part 9.

share save 171 16 Solar Charged Lawn Mower   Part 8   Ergonomic Handle

Comments

1. A says:

geez that’s pretty low. …there’s a bad short joke in here somewhere but I’ll just say that’s low enough for my 3 yr old to push it around.

it looks good… I just don’t know if I can justify the cost of the whole setup.

Cheerio!
    A

2. Vince says:

Well, i think i’m convinced. I’m seriously considering buying the SOLARIS. Could you write about maintenance (say, if the self propelled feature breaks) and parts as well as warranty

Hi Vince,
    Since I have not had to deal with either, I think I’ll need to ask a representative of Linamar Consumer Products to see if they can answer your questions. The best I could do is just from what I could gather from their web site.

How’s that?

4. Phil says:

Hi Vince,

The warranty is a two year limited warranty. It would cover any manufacturer’s defects.

Parts would always be available through our customer service department.

Phil.

5. L Vidito says:

Thanks for the review. I just bought my Epic 19 in mower yesterday from Home Hardware (they were on sale this week too!). Gas prices soared to $1.44 per litre here last night. Ouch!!

6. k.d. says:

I am looking for a new lawnmower and would like to buy a cordless electric. I appreciate your information so far. I would like to know more about the battery. I have heard comments with other battery operated lawnmowers that after the first season the battery doesn’t last anymore and is a real nuisance. What are your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Hi KD,

Unfortunately I cannot answer your question as this is the first year we have had a cordless lawn mower.

We have had a cordless ‘whipper snipper’ and had no problems with the battery at all.

I can also tell you that these batteries (not just the one in the mower we are trying this year but others as well such as Black and Decker per comments we have received from other visitors to our site) need to be brought inside in the fall before the night temperature (or day temperature for that matter) reaches 32 degrees F. These batteries will be damaged if they are left out in freezing temperatures.

I am travelling right now and don’t have the manual infront of me that I received with this new mower, but I do recall it mentioned several times that these should last I think it was 4 to 5 years.

I hope that helps.

8. Philip says:

Thanks for the review. I bought my 21″ solaris about a month ago. I had to drive down near Boston anyway, so I picked it up, unboxed it and put it in the back of the corolla. yes it does fit. snugly.
    As for usage tips.
    I use it regularly, which makes the charge last longer. I avoid going uphill by crisscrossing and push when I don’t need the power. This makes a charge last much longer. sometimes the cut is uneven but it is likely that is because the lawn is not even (grubs). Mostly, I really like that it is quieter (does not scare the baby), has less vibration and I don’t have to handle gasoline( both good for my personal health and the environment). I have a universal blade that seems to mulch just fine.
    Improvements? power indicators for the battery, a larger bag might mean that I would use it, self propel only so I could get from point A to B without the blade running, a slow speed would be nice. I plug mine in because the solar panel is too much. Maybe when they make more the price will come down.

9. David says:

Does this lawn have a grass bag catcher?

What is the cost with all?

David

Hi David,

Yes it does. I prefer to mulch mine so I removed the rear grass catcher.

It costs around $500 for a 19 inch plus anohter $250 for the optional solar charging station.

11. Dave says:

Hi Dan, I bought this mower(21 inch) 2 months ago based on your articles. I installed solar panels from ebay to charge. Works great. 45 minutes run time in deep wet grass. I find the handle weak and self propelled feature slow. Emailed linamar.

Hi Dave,

What were the solar panels you purchased from ebay? How much were they? How did you hook it up to charge the batteries?

When you say you find the handle weak, what do you mean by that? I can’t comment on the self propelled feature as it is the first mower I have ever owned with such a feature. I like the speed of mine. Any faster and I could see the mower not cutting all the grass properly.

I have heard from another visitor that he found the charge insufficient for his lawn as well. I did find that when I raised the cutting level / height of the mower I was able to complete the mower of our lawn when it was very thick.

Keep us posted on what you hear back from Linamar.

13. Mark says:

Dan: thanks for the articles – they were helpful in helping us to decide to spend the $ for the 19″ Solaris.

I concur with most of your observations, and have a couple of my own:
    1. Adjustable handle is great, but if you get too close to shrubs/hedges the closures can catch and inadvertently open. No big deal but you need to check.

2. I absolutely HATE the beeper that tells you to remove the batteries when not in use….Stopping for even a quick, um, lemonade means having to disconnect the batteries. I understand needing to keep the batteries in the charger when not in use but I can’t see why the beeper needs to go off so quickly!

I have had no problem with battery usage time – we have a pretty big yard (100×50 including flower beds) and get it done in one pass. I am using the universal blade but mulching and find it works very well.

Overall very pleased with the mower, though it was costly. Its not that much more than other “premium” mowers and works very well….

Mark

Hi Mark,

It’s nice to hear that you found our experiences useful. Thanks for that.

In using the mulching blade we have found the batteries to consume more ‘juice’ than with the universal blade.

I do like the self propelled feature (never had that before) and how I don’t have to re-mow any thick grass parts like I had to with our previous 18″ electric corded mower.

15. Al says:

Bought the 21″ mower yesterday, the builder put sod down a couple of weeks ago and this was the first cut. It didn’t make it through the backyard completely. Grass was wet and thick and I was using the grass bag option and had to frequently empty it. Self propelled function is fantastic. I am thinking of getting either a second set of batteries or a fast charging station. I am not using the solar panel yet. Cleaning the mower after wet grass is a must, I was surprised the manual advices to use water (removing the batteries first of course!) but that was all it needed. Now I am planning on cutting at least once a week and will teach my wife how to use it as well ;-)

Hi Al,

With I think any battery powered mower the harder the blade has to work the more energy will drain in a shorter time. When I mowed in the spring after 2 weeks of heavy rain which was preceeded by fertilizing the lawn I was able to mow the front and only part of the back yard.

However weekly mowing is no issue for us, i.e. when the batteries are fully charged it mowes the entire front and back yards.

Thanks for the comments!