Editor’s Note: This series of articles reviewed in detail the first year of the Solaris / Epic / Utopia brands of cordless electric self propelled lawn mower with the optional solar charging station from Linamar Consumer Products. To view the 2010 review, simply select this link to the Solaris Electric Cordless Solar Charged Lawn Mower 2010 review.
With the ever increasing focus on energy conservation and solar power generation due to global warming concerns, it’s sometimes easier to make a ‘contribution to the cause’ by doing the little things. Install a home solar panel system for your home to meet all of your electricity needs? Are you kidding me? Not in Canada, eh, with the absence of viable governmental funding. The last thing I need is yet another mortgage on my house.
So, what little things can the average home owner do to ‘contribute to the cause’ of environmental consciousness that will also save them money and not force the home owner to take out a new loan?
Let me ask you the following question: what type of lawn mower do you use? Does your lawn mower run on gas? Or, does your lawn mower use a 50 or 100 foot extension cord plugged into your home? Are you finding it increasingly difficult to push your manual lawn mower up and down your lawn yet do not want to consume non-renewable resources directly (gas) or indirectly (electric plug-in)? The important thing is, that if you really like your garden clean and you like to drive your own lawn mower, you should really check this garden product.
From this year going forward, when you are ready to replace your current lawn mower, or when you are ready to buy your first lawn mower for those first time home owners, you can now purchase a solar powered lawn mower.
We have learned that new for 2008 is a mass produced solar powered lawn mower from a new entrant into the consumer lawn mower product line which eliminates all of the excuses for using what ever type of lawn mower you are currently using.
Before reviewing the specifics of this particular brand I’d like first to simply review why, when you are actually ready to purchase a mower for your lawn, it makes sense to at least look at any solar powered lawn mower by looking at some of the disadvantages of the other three main types of lawn mowers:
- Gas Mower
- Environmental – Consumes a non-renewable resource (gasoline)
- Environmental – Spillage of gasoline during refueling
- Environmental & Usability – Noise pollution
- Cost – Ongoing purchase cost of gasoline
- Cost – Frequent engine maintenance
- Electric Mower
- Environmental – Consumes home electricity generated by consumption of non-renewable resources (natural gas, coal, etc.)
- Cost – Ongoing cost of home electricity consumption
- Cost – Replacement of cut power cords
- Usability – Frequent stopping to move the 50 or 100 foot extension cord out of the way of your mowing direction
- Usability - Full manual effort to push a manual lawn mower
- Usability – No automatic bagging; need to rake and bag clippings
- Usability – Arguably, no mulching of clipping
All of the above disadvantages of the above types of lawn mowers does not apply to a solar powered lawn mower. Each of the above disadvantages are advantages for a solar powered lawn mower. It’s really that simple.
Are you ready to learn about the make and model we have chosen? Select this link to Part 2 in this series about our new solar charged lawn mower where we tell you why we decided to purchase the Solaris solar powered 19 inch lawn mower.
Suggested Articles For You:
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 3A (1)
- Solaris Electric Cordless Solar Charged Lawn Mower 2010 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 6 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 5 (1)
- 2009 Solaris Self-Propelled Cordless Electric Lawn Mower Review – 2 (1)